Thursday, January 31, 2019

2.2 Week 2

This week for genius hour, Kyra and I have been practicing the Collegiate Shag. This dance is similar to the Charleston that we did in week one. Both dances originate from the 1920's-1930's. They are uptempo swing dances that go with pre-swing jazz music.

This week, Kyra and I practiced on Monday and Wednesday knowing that she would be gone on Thursday for our genius hour. The Shag we are learning is very quick with the step pattern slow slow quick quick. We have improvised our version of the dance from the on we watched and learned from. We aren't as good as the people in the video so we changed it up a little bit to make it easier to understand and figure out. YouTube has been very helpful in finding videos that will teach us the basics of every dance that we want to learn. On Wednesday, we had Cameron come into the West Multi Purpose Room where we practice during first period and he filmed us. We have filmed our first two dances on Kyra's phone so hopefully she will upload them so you can see our progress. We are looking forward to next week and starting another dance. I believe we are going to be learning the jitterbug next so wish us luck.

2 comments:

  1. I love our project! It’s so fun and will help us get our grooooove on at prom! I’m very excited for this week! Hopefully I can remember my laptop ;) Thank you for being such a great partner in our genius hour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WATCH OUT LADIES! this is a great skill and look forward to your progress and hope that you can teach me something as well.

    ReplyDelete